Is beauty sleep a myth or reality?
How many times did you return from vacation, and everyone asked you what you did to your face? Sleep is one of the main reasons this happens! Yes, you read correctly, sleep!
Now it’s time for the relevant questions to follow… Can lack of sleep make our skin rough, dull and tired? What happens to our skin when we sleep? Can proper sleep give us beautiful skin? Is beauty sleep a myth or a fact?
Let’s explain in a more scientific way what happens when we sleep to our skin!
What happens when we sleep!
First of all, the first 3 hours are the most important since during that time the release of growth hormone (GH) is increased, which is responsible for the repair and regeneration of our cells and therefore our skin. The next 3 hours are the well-known REM stage, in which we have an increase in melatonin, which acts as an antioxidant in our skin. And the final part of our sleep is just as important as our skin is reorganized, the muscles relax, and the temperature of our skin drops. (That’s why we never wash our face with cold water in the morning!)
The basic steps for a beauty sleep
- We clean our face very well. If we have put on makeup or we were in an area with a lot of pollution, then my suggestion is double cleansing. It is the best time to put on a face mask or products with acids, salicylic acid or retinol.
- If we have long hair, we catch it in a nice light ponytail for our sleep, so as not to allow bacteria to be transferred to the skin of our face while sleeping. This is a must in case we have acne!
- Make sure not to have eaten 2-3 hours before bedtime, so as not to burden the body with digestion and let it undisturbed do all the beneficial processes we mentioned before. SOS: do not eat salty food especially at night, as they cause dehydration in the body and swelling under the eyes.
- Drink a relaxing tea before bed, which helps you relax and fall asleep more easily.
- Our bed and especially our pillows should be made of 100% natural cotton or linen for our skin to breathe but also not to retain germs.
- Lastly, we all know that the best way to sleep is on our back, so we can avoid wrinkles. Since this can be difficult for most of us (and I’m one of them!! 🤪) I will write an article about pillows that can help us.
Extra tips for a successful beauty sleep
- Stay away from electronics and screens at least an hour before bed and of course have all electronic devices turned off as we now know very well the effect that blue light has on our skin. Read this article for more details.
- If you choose to do something before bed, then yoga is the best in order to be able to relax your body muscularly and spiritually! Click here to watch an easy video with yoga exercises that I do.
- Put lavender essential oil next to you and also from wine root (I know it sounds strange…) which can be used to improve your sleep cycle and reduce stress. It is also an anti-aging product.
- Evening hours are also the best time to do Face Yoga exercises with Areti. The reason why Face Yoga exercises are best done at night is because the microcirculation that is created favors the rebuilding of the cells at night.
- Get a sleep mask made of very good fabric to rest your eyes even more.
- And finally do not forget to use your jade roller or Gua Sha.
Do not forget that you can contact me for more information on the beauty topics we discuss or other beauty issues that concern you, beauty diet, face yoga, beauty advice by sending me an email at [email protected]
Read more about our beauty and follow me on social media:
Youtube! ➜ http://www.youtube.com/flowcenter
Facebook! ➜ https://www.facebook.com/faceyogagreece/
Instagram! ➜ https://www.instagram.com/aretikafantari/
Thank you very much for your support! 😉